Author Topic: meshmixer 2.1  (Read 4230 times)

RMS

• Administrator
    • View Profile
meshmixer 2.1
« on: February 18, 2014, 03:23:56 PM »
It's that time again. I am thrilled to announce meshmixer 2.1. Although we only gave it a minor version number bump, this release has a ton of new stuff:

- integrated 3D Print Preview (formerly known as Autodesk 3D Print Utility) with model analysis based on selected printer, material visualization, and print-level repair, hollow, and thicken tools
- improved Overhangs Tool with better support structure algorithm, full manual support editing (including after save/load), options to convert to a single solid shell, safer defaults, and improved parameter ranges.
- new Slicing Analysis Tool identifies thin/small areas in slice polygons
- new Offset Tool computes consistent offset shells (use to thicken, create walls, etc)
- new Attract To Target Tool that pulls selection towards Target object (set target in Actions menu)
- new Make Solid Tool converts multiple shells into a single solid, with optional offset distance
- extended Soft Transform Tool with improved boundary controls and Nonlinear deformation mode
- rewritten Reduce Tool can now produce lower polycounts with better details
- improved Plane Cut Tool now handles complex nested shells
- improved Replace/Fill Tool now fills interior holes with hard borders
- extended Selection Tool now has a multi-click polygon lasso mode and Sphere selection brush
- Improved STL importing, AMF import/export
- Reduced memory usage up to 50% in many cases
- improved rendering performance for large models
- multi-threaded computation for many tools
- many other bug fixes and small improvements!

Until I can get some tutorial videos made, you'll have to figure out the new tools yourselves. But there is some really powerful stuff in there (Make Solid is pretty awesome, if I do say so myself...)
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 08:10:33 AM by RMS »

Philo

• View Profile
    • Philohome website
Re: meshmixer 2.1
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2014, 01:47:58 AM »
Hi RMS,
Looks very promising indeed, but I've got a problem: installation of 32 bits version ("Autodesk_Meshmixer_v2p1_Win32.exe") on an XP SP3 machine went on flawlessly, but on launch the program tells me that "it is not a valid win32 application"...?

Edit: the 64 bits version works great on my Win7 box. The "make solid" is pure awesomeness ;)
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 11:57:33 AM by Philo »
Philo

vknw123

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2014, 05:24:04 AM »
?ongratulations.
began to explore the possibilities.
prompt adjustment brush 1 is?

MagWeb

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2014, 04:50:52 AM »
Great features! Thanks

A first-view, but minor GUI thing: Some flyouts show a square in background color here on MAC OSX 10.9.1

RMS

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2014, 07:07:15 AM »
Yea, that was an old bug that snuck in somehow. We are probably going to do a minor update in a week or so, to fix the problems that pop up.

Philo: turns out Visual Studio 2012 doesn't support XP by default anymore. We are trying to figure out a workaround.

Philo

• View Profile
    • Philohome website
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2014, 08:57:52 AM »
Thanks RMS! I know XP is old and now doomed, but... still 30% of the machines run it ;)
Philo

RMS

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2014, 10:28:45 PM »
OK, we posted a minor update (same download filename) that should fix the WinXP issues, and also the grey square.
The version number in the about box should be 2.1.9

Philo

• View Profile
    • Philohome website
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2014, 02:05:22 AM »
Thanks RMS, it installs and works fine!
Philo

hieveryone

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2014, 10:59:30 AM »
As usual a very promising update with really interesting new tools; the build seems stable so far but I have to play with it more to be certain.

I couldn't test everything yet, just meddled with some tools that picked my interest in the presentation video.
'Make solid' is a great tool and so far worked really well. The 'Soft transform' is genius, and really fun if you want to get a fast base for clothes-like shapes. Also the 'Attract' brush seems to work fine and opens to some interesting possibilities.

Just a couple of quick questions: is it possible yet to disable the airbrush from the sculpt brushes? Or is it planned to have it? That would help a lot and I think would improve the feel of the sculpt brushes.

And is it possible (or could be) to have the 'warp' handles working in a way similar to the 'Soft transform' or together with it? Because that softbody behaviour is the way I always thought the warp tool should've worked.

Very nice job as usual, thanks RMS.

RMS

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2014, 04:08:22 PM »
not sure what you mean by Airbrush...you mean that it keeps applying when the mouse is held down? If you want to turn that off, you can uncheck Flow. If you mean something else, please explain (or refresh my memory if you have explained before).

Warp uses the same algorithm as SoftTransform in the 'Linear Deformation' mode. The difference is that Warp constrains individual vertices, while SoftTransform constraints faces. I will see about porting NonLinear mode over to Warp.

(Attract brush has actually been there for years! The new thing is the Attract To Target under the Edits menu...which is kind of like an automatic mode of the brush option. I think we will have more uses for target objects in the future...)

hieveryone

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2014, 05:17:10 PM »
Yeah, 'flow' is the answer, unfortunately it works only with my mouse.
The pen keeps applying pressure as if 'flow' would be always on, making it very difficult to sculpt efficiently.
I wonder if there's a way to fix it, and if it's something I could do on my end somehow or if it's a problem with the qt libraries.

It would be great to be able to use the warp in conjunction with the soft transform, like some kind of pinching in specific areas to control the foldings, but I have no idea how difficult could it prove to be implemented. Thanks for looking into it regardless.

Also I'm very curious about the uses you have in store for the target objects in the future. ;)
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 05:19:34 PM by hieveryone »

RMS

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2014, 08:24:56 PM »
Ah, OK, yes, tablet support is currently not very good. I'm not sure why it would behave like that. I need to hook up a wacom again...haven't had one on my desk for over a year.

Steve_C

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2014, 06:33:30 PM »
"Ah, OK, yes, tablet support is currently not very good."

Well that explains some of the 'funky' results I've seen when using my wacom rather than my mouse! 

Thanks for the new version BTW! 

Meshmixer 2.1 has made creating/fixing/finalizing my 3D printable meshes a heck of a lot easier!!

RMS

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2014, 12:19:54 PM »
glad to hear it, that was one of the main goals of this release.

(Don't worry sculptors, I have some new things in store for you too ;)

Steve_C

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2014, 07:22:18 PM »
Not that extra features for 'sculptors' wouldn't be welcomed by us 3D printers!!!  :D

Given what I'm trying to create for 3D printing uses plenty of sculpting!

I've attached a pic of a small 3D printed brooch design I created on my MBI Replicator 2. It's printed in blue PLA, then sanded and finished with artist's acrylic paints and gold leaf (where the bright orange is).

Meshmixer made combining the girl's face with the dished back a breeze - especially compared to the hassle it was using some other apps, which would treat the concave surface as a 'hole' to be filled!! 

It's efforts like your's with Meshmixer that are helping to make the "3D printing revolution" a reality!  Without software like Meshmixer, transforming ideas into finished 3D prints would be much more hassle...