Author Topic: Spline Tool Selection, Import SVG & Path Tool  (Read 1107 times)

AzDesertRat

• View Profile
Spline Tool Selection, Import SVG & Path Tool
« on: May 23, 2016, 03:25:07 PM »
There is a small group of MeshMixer users that have been utilizing the software for editing high quality (Lidar based) terrain meshes.  The real time sculpting and post editing changes to control mesh density are unmatched for this kind of work.  While the majority of included tools are outstanding there is one sorely missing capability that I've been suggesting for literally a couple years now plus a couple others that I would like to see added eventually;). 

<> 3rd Selection Option = Spline - To allow for very precise control via a true spline tool where you would left click the location of each vert when creating a new closed shape selection.  Being able to precisely cut new face groups with this tool would be extremely helpful for landscape plot plots that I work with such as golf courses. These require distinct separation "cuts" between each grass transition (Green -> Fringe -> Fairway -> Short Rough -> Long Rough) and also for Sand Bunkers, Ponds, Lakes, etc.  It would also be great if you could select an existing group, copy or reference the group border and then scale the border spline + or - by a uniform distance from the original group border.

<> SVG Import - Since an export option exists in the latest beta rev I would think this to be possible.  The particular use I'm looking for is a way to import an SVG containing spline shapes and/or filled areas that could be used as selections and applied or cut into an existing terrain mesh (or standard Plane).  Think of the use for a landscape architect or even in the CAD field.  The users draws out a 2D design via Illustrator or Inkscape and then imports their 2D drawing into MeshMixer to apply to a 3D surface.  This would allow for high level of precision from conception to final design.

<> Path Tool - User draws a spline on mesh surface, then sets parameters for path/road such as width, depth, flat or follow terrain, in post edit options menu.  Additionaly, if the UV's could be spline mapped as well so that a texture follows the center spline of the path, oh man that would be heavenly:).

Thanks for listening         
« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 10:52:03 PM by AzDesertRat »

AzDesertRat

• View Profile
Re: Spline Tool Selection, Import SVG & Path Tool
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2016, 01:04:17 PM »
*Bump - Has any progress been made with adding a spline selection tool?  Really need this level of control for cutting/editing precise shapes which is not possible with the current Lasso + B key smooth.

Thanks,

Rat