Author Topic: 3DS MAX doesn't create material of models imported from meshmixer  (Read 454 times)

Pampos

• View Profile
I download from 123D to meshmixer ready models and import them to 3DS MAX which automatically creates the materials. But when I create/paint a model and import it to 3DS MAX it doesn't create the material as it does with the downloaded models. The exporting/importing settings are the same. Also when I mix my painted model with the ready models and export to max still doesn't create materials for all of the included models. I 'm new with meshmixer and with the texture/material stuff, so maybe I overlooked something simple. I can show screenshots if needed. I would appreciate any help.

MagWeb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: 3DS MAX doesn't create material of models imported from meshmixer
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2017, 10:04:03 AM »
You've to understand the difference of two approaches to display color on 3D objects:

Textured meshes (as you get them from 123D): This is a bundle of at least 3 files:
-  geometry file, meaning the triangle mesh ( .obj )
-  image file ( e.g. .png )
-  "linking" file ( .mtl )
> some snippet of the image is "glued" onto each triangle of the geometry flie.

PerVertexColor painted objects. This needs a single .obj file only.
> Here each vertex carries a single RGB color and a triangle shows the color-blending of its three points.

Meshmixer supports textured meshes but you can't edit/paint the texture.
If you use the paint tools in MM you do it using PerVertexColor.

Now to export such a painted object from MM you've to choose "OBJ Format with Per-Vertex Color" in the ExportMesh dialog.

I'm just a user as you are. Being no Autodesk employee: I do not know where this road will lead to, nor do I claim to've all stuff got right.