Author Topic: meshmixer07 update 3  (Read 23588 times)

RMS

• meshmixer founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • gradientspace
meshmixer07 update 3
« on: February 08, 2012, 04:49:15 PM »
(Feb 10) BUILDS UPDATED SEE BELOW

New:
- Separate tool for converting selection to new object
- Transform tool can now be applied to entire objects without a selection (just hit 't')
- Plane Cut tool for slicing through entire object with a plane, and filling any closed loops (make flat parts!)
- Mirror tool for mirroring object across a plane. You can move the plane. Fun!
- Duplicate tool for copying selected object(s)
- you can now manually enter numeric parameter values by double-clicking on the parameter  (note: not heavily tested...)
- scene object browser (initially minimized, is in bottom-right corner)

Improved:
- terrible rendering bug fixed
- various other bugfixes and ui tweaks

UPDATE Feb 10
- New Align tool that can align objects to x/y/z planes   (by default aligns from last mirror/cut plane...scribble over mesh to align scribbled area)
- fixed bugs in mirror, cut
- transform widget rotation now snaps to 45-degree angles when you hold shift   (relative to starting orientation, which is still a bit weird...)
- fixed some import/export scaling bugs

Download (not yet added on public download page):
Windows 32-bit
Windows 64-bit
OSX 64-bit
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 04:21:45 PM by RMS »
created meshmixer - now starting gradientspace - meshmixer consulting available http://www.gradientspace.com/consulting

MagWeb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: meshmixer07 update 3
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2012, 06:19:51 PM »
Oh joy!

Big thanks:

That mirror tool is far beyond all I´ve seen before, without trouble getting the object into a fixed symmetry plane; Although a mirrored stuff gets lost if it has no contact with the original object (which would be useful to get symmetrical, but isolated elements).
PlaneCut: another priceless tool for hard edge sculpting. Is it possible to keep both parts?
Separate, Duplicate and Transform as I wished it to see

Thanks for the manual value set dialog. Note: its also possible to name the objects of the scene by double clicking their default name in the scene browser.

Wrap works;
Transforming(rotating) combined objects works;

Think that are wonderfull new options. Its a pity that you do not find the time to use your app for sculpting, but I have to admit: I like it if you are busy with coding :)

I'm just a user as you are. Being no Autodesk employee: I do not know where this road will lead to, nor do I claim to've all stuff got right.

RMS

• meshmixer founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • gradientspace
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2012, 08:28:26 PM »
I was planning on making it possible to keep both parts, it can do that, there is just no UI yet where I could put a toggle.

Really this update was a bit rushed, I just realized yesterday that I had not yet released an update with the rendering bugs fixed, so I cleaned everything up the best I could and posted it.

this: "mirrored stuff gets lost if it has no contact with the original object" is a bug, should be an easy fix.
created meshmixer - now starting gradientspace - meshmixer consulting available http://www.gradientspace.com/consulting

Patrick3D

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2012, 12:52:51 AM »
Thank you!
Patrick Daniels

HolyEnigma74

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2012, 12:54:41 AM »
the mirror tool is pretty neat for the little bit that i have tried it so far. :)

RMS, i know that we talked about "cursor size"staying the same as the "object size"

i was wondering if you could put in an option to make it reverse to the other way for the
"drag and move brushes"(just have it as an option not always) i personally like the cursor to "float in size" depending
on the "zoom" of my object..

reason being i can "zoom out" a whole bunch then my cursor gets really big(bigger than yours allows)
and it makes it easy to get silhouettes shaped quickly.
doing it this way IMHO is faster than trying to change the size of the brush all the time.

keep pluggin away, you're making good progress. :)

oh and i have seen you point out QT as reasons why you couldn't do certain things..
(someone had a problem with Russian language for example, and then funky tablet issues..)

are you dependent on them?(QT) i mean could you transition to something else?
we could get some anti-aliasing(4x would be fine).   

HolyEnigma74

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2012, 02:23:55 AM »
i was playing with the mirror..
and noticed that after you mirror an object
that doesn't necessarily mean that the "tool symmetry" line will be in the center..

hmmm... maybe we need an option so we can move the "tool" or working symmetry line.. 
(the white overlay line)

here is the test..

1. import sphere into the scene.
2. drag&drop the meshmixer head onto the sphere(the top head in the list)
3. use the sphere as the "neck" make the man face forward, and apply mirror.(use snapping"spacebar" if you want)
4. try to use a  draw brush with symmetry and see if the symmetry line is in the middle or offset a little bit..

------------------

the symmetry line will stay in the center if you make no "side to side"(thickness) adjustments on the mirror..
would be nice if it had an option to " symmatry always find center" even if you expand the width of the object..
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 02:31:54 AM by HolyEnigma74 »

MagWeb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2012, 03:42:27 AM »
A rushed update? And how would an elaborate one look like?

BrushSymmetry, depending on a global plane, works fine here as long as you do not move the MirrorPlane away from its start position. Doing this you can do all the operations you can do in DrPetters app.
Think, having a individual BrushSymmetry per object would be nice, but besides the coding and processing (each object might own its own MirrorPlane) also irritating... A good thing would be if the global symmetry plane would be rendered during Mirror and Transform. Maybe you can start with the white line projected on the object as it is while brushing with symmetry on, but even better would be a transparent plane (maybe using 2 colors: one for the global symmetry one for the current Mirror Plane) for this could be visible also offsides the objects.

A minor thing I found yesterday: @ Naming the different objects in the scene browser: Would be nice if an appended OBJ would appear there with its filename by default. Naming the objects works by double clicking for the current session, but unfortunately this naming gets lost saving it to MIX and reopening it.

EDIT: HolyEnigma74: Sorry missed your edit above
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 03:48:45 AM by MagWeb »
I'm just a user as you are. Being no Autodesk employee: I do not know where this road will lead to, nor do I claim to've all stuff got right.

HolyEnigma74

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2012, 08:06:56 AM »
i just though about what i wrote...

the symmetry line will stay in the center if you make no "side to side"(thickness) adjustments on the mirror..
would be nice if it had an option to " symmatry always find center" even if you expand the width of the object..

this seems like it would be pretty easy to do..
all you would have to do is compute how much you translated the object to the left(make thicker),
then you globally move the whole object that amount to the right..
 thus keeping the symmetry line in the right spot. so...
 its just a matter of knowing the distance moved when you do the "thickness offset of the mirror"

-----------

***Update***

It does indeed work.. i mirrored a head made it pretty wide.. (the tool symmatry line was WAY off)
i then used "transform" to globally move the object until the tool symmetry line was as close to center as possible.

So.. this could be automated.. to make it more precise.. and for speed as well.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 08:20:28 AM by HolyEnigma74 »

timmmmyboy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2012, 08:26:48 AM »
Gave the plane cut tool a go and I get consistent crashing on Mac OS X Lion. Here's the full crash log in case that's useful to you http://pastebin.com/pLR4XGwj. Seems to crash at certain points when lining it up with the object (maybe depending on mesh size/complexity?).

RMS

• meshmixer founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • gradientspace
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2012, 09:43:32 AM »
timmmmyboy can you send me the model? email to meshmixer@gmail.com, or if it is too big, upload to http://www.dropitto.me/meshmixer   (password meshmixer)

(Hard for me to debug otherwise)

Thanks for the comments otherwise. I was thinking I would add an option to the Transform tool to center the current object around the origin. This would center the X=0 symmetry plane in the middle of the object. Would that solve your problem?

HolyEnigma74: yes I am very dependent on Qt...switching to something else would take a very long time =)

timmmmyboy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2012, 10:28:17 AM »
Done. Centering it within the model would save a bit of time in lining everything up but the crashing is very consistent after a few seconds of moving the plane around to find a good spot.

RMS

• meshmixer founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • gradientspace
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2012, 11:05:02 AM »
by "done" do you mean you sent me something? Was not in my email or in my dropbox...

timmmmyboy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2012, 11:25:49 AM »
Yeah, I sent it to your email. Odd, I'll give the dropbox link a try.

RMS

• meshmixer founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • gradientspace
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2012, 04:34:07 PM »
got it, thanks, and fixed the crash, but I am still have a very hard time getting the plane to the right spot. The widget is not great for aligning arbitrary planes....back to the drawing board =)

(will post build w/ fix soon)

HolyEnigma74

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2012, 09:43:57 PM »
RMS..

i was  doing a bit more thinking about your implementation of(mirror) "i know its scary me thinking :) ,,  anyhow.."

i have a simple solution, that would be be "easy" and keep the symmetry line in the center..

when you move the object with the widget to the left, the object moves proportionally exactly that amount "to the right"(or opposite direction)
"for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction" ;)

Doors in Star Trek. for example
--

So during the mirror process "both" sides of the object move, not just the left half..
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 10:06:20 PM by HolyEnigma74 »